June 17, 2013

Testing the (Hair) Waters: Kinky-Curly Hair Polisher Oil & Tasti Kiss Hair Butter - June 16, 2013

One of the perks of working at Honey Fig is the access to the 80+ brands and hundreds of products that we carry and sell! Of these products, we occasionally have a select amount of products that either arrived leaking or with missing pieces and can't be sold, so the employees get to pick, choose and take them home! This includes hair products, soaps, lotions and nail polishes. On my first day, I took home Kinky-Curly's Hair Polisher Oil and Tasti Kiss' Hair Butter. Since then, I've used both and can offer my opinion and experience about them. **Please note that this is not a comparison between the two products**

Kinky-Curly's Polisher Oil is a combination of Argan oil, seed oil, apricot and more Argan derived ingredients. Some good things about this oil is that it doesn't disappear easily so you can use a small amount to coat your hair. It definitely improved the feel of my hair, softening it more than adding moisture or shine. I actually like that it doesn't add too much shine! I don't need my hair to shine! I like that it gives my hair a moisturized look instead of making my curls sparkle! I would suggest layering the oil over an actual moisturizing cream or butter and using the oil mostly for nightly use and a style finisher. Other than the actual oil, I found the squeeze pump a bit weirdly constructed and would have liked one of those longer nozzle pumps instead! I don't like having to pick up the whole bottle to disperse the product. Call me lazy but it's all about ease with this afrotastic chic!

Something that I wasn't expecting is that the oil is pretty thick compared to the other oils I have tried. I'm not sure if I like the consistency because it doesn't melt away as quickly or easily as my sweet almond oil does. The oil was very hard to wash off my hands after applying. Other than that, I like the scent and the results. I will definitely continue to use this oil as a pre-shampoo and night treatment and on a daily basis to finish off my hairstyles.

Tasti's Kiss Hair Butter smells divine! I love the bubble gum scent; I could smell it the whole day! This hair butter is pretty thick and stiff but very easy to warm up and melt down. I like how it melts easily onto my hair and how moisturized and soft it makes my hair feel. I would say be careful not to use too much and definitely don't use it on wet hair even though it says you can. I put a bit of the hair butter on my wet hair the other day and my front section turned into a white mess! Maybe I put too much but it did not melt away like I thought it would! However, it is great for a daily moisturizer on dry hair.

For daily use, I prefer oils because I can massage them into my hair easily and don't have to worry about residues or white leftovers. I also like working with water-based or liquid products vs cream-based ones because of the kinkiness of my hair texture. Anything water-based helps define my curls.

I hope this helped! As a side note, Kinky-Curly products seem to work very well with my hair! I'm currently seeking out a leave-in conditioner and am seriously considering the Knot Today leave-in. I want to give it a try because the salon uses that combined with the custard styling gel to style my hair and it transforms my curls from a kinky-frizzy mess to well-defined spiral curls. I will let you know how the leave-in conditioner hunt goes! Happy reading y'all and hope you're enjoying the bits of sunshine we've been getting!

No comments:

Post a Comment