June 17, 2013

Natural & Organic Beauty: My new appreciation for "tree huggers" - June 14, 2013

[ Free Flow Fro! ]
One of the requirements of my new job as sales associate at Honey Fig is to constantly research natural hair brands, products, blogs and websites. I am also to familiarize myself with new products, trends, terms, techniques, especially the ones sold and used in our store. The other day, I spent 2 hours looking around the World Wide Web, reading up on natural hair products, black hair, hair types, and let me tell you, the web IS definitely worldly and wide! I thought I knew a lot about natural hair and skin care but there's SO MUCH I have yet to learn! It's exciting! I came across lists and lists of "ingredients to avoid", "the best natural shampoos & conditioners", "natural looking mascaras", "foundations for women of colour", "natural smoothie recipes" ... The lists of lists goes on! I also think I found one of my new favourite blogs/websites called Organic Beauty Talk (www.organicbeautytalk.com). I have always been a "tree hugger" who cares about the environment but this site really educated me that living a "natural, non-toxic life" is more than just respecting the environment with your eco-friendly purchases. Living naturally also involves physically and mentally leading a completely healthy life too! I also learned how to make homemade deodorant! Say what now?!

The reason why I'm telling you all this is because I want to share my knowledge with you and encourage you that making the switch to a natural lifestyle doesn't have to be lonely! There is SO much support out there, like I mentioned in my entry entitled "Making (Curl)friends". We have a following, a community, a world of friends who want to travel through these hair journeys together! There are tons of educated, experienced people who will answer all of your questions. All you have to do is know where to look! But trust me, we natural enthusiasts aren't hiding! Some websites to search include but aren't limited to (and don't forget about my blog!):

Organic Beauty Talk
Organic Spa Magazine
Andre Walker Talks
Cathy Howes of UBH
Natural is Dope

Some great people/accounts on Instagram include but aren't limited to:

Head of Curls
Curly Nikki
Greenenigma
Mz. Tammy
Natural Hair Daily
Wonder Curl
Cydara
Mixed Chicks Hair

These naturalists are just like you! They all started off unsure of what to do with their hair and learned how to survive the long journey of embracing their natural hair texture. We are really in this together (I'm cheesy) or at least we should be! Feel free to check them out, follow them on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook and become curlfriends! Connect, share and build up our natural hair community!

No comments:

Post a Comment