June 07, 2013

Making Curlfriends: Seeking, joining and supporting natural hair communities - June 7, 2013

[ Another look at my "crown" hairstyle ]

Natural hair is EVERYWHERE!!! We can't deny it or reverse it! I think it's great! No one can say they don't have the knowledge, inspiration or support to go natural because there are millions of natural hair gurus, hair bloggers and websites dedicated to natural hair! Some great benefits about going natural were saving time, saving money and embracing my true self. One of the best things about going natural was the multiple communities I was able to join, the many friends I made and the support I received. Since I went natural in January, I have made multiple curlfriends, found friends in people I didn't expect to, discovered many curly girls via Facebook and Instagram and have been introduced to a whole, wide world of awesome naturalness.

I have always had very few friends who were natural. Most of my friends wore weaves or wore their hair relaxed. My decision to go natural was a pretty lonely one because I didn't have support from anyone. However, the few friends that were natural were so kind enough to take me under their wings and offer amazing friendships outside and within the curly world. I want to shout out my dear friend (and AMAZING singer) Vanessa M., who was and is always so positive about my hair through all of its stages and continues to be a great source of information as I travel through my hair journey. When I decided to transition, my friends Nisha and Gaelle, both natural girls, were also very encouraging. They gave me style ideas and even accompanied me to Honey Fig, my lifesaver natural hair and skin care boutique (www.honeyfig.com). When I big-chopped, one of my close friends and fellow event planner Deneita, had also just cut her hair and was great in helping me get used to my new hair. I have many, many people to thank, like my wonderful parents, my stunning boyfriend and other friends and acquaintances, and no one goes unnoticed or forgotten, but these specific ladies displayed memorable actions.

Through friends and acquaintances, I was able to meet people who have helped me grow as a natural hair enthusiast. I now purchase some of my hair products from my good friend Shauntee, who makes natural hair and skin products under the name Nu'khara (Facebook: Nu'khara OR Shauntee Sutton). She introduced me to natural oils, offered twist-out advice and she forever supports me in my journey. I was also able to find amazing hair inspiration from various blogs and Instagrammers through Black Girl Long Hair. I now follow a ton of natural ladies and I am never at a shortage of hair advice, hairstyles, tutorials and pictures. Some of these lovely ladies have even followed me back!

As you can see, going natural opened the doors to a world of curlfriends and curly friendships. I have friends who are great friends but can also help me through my hair journey! I feel very blessed to have been able to benefit physically and mentally from my decision to cut my hair and embrace my curls. I love every moment of being a curly girl and hope I can inspire others to embrace their true selves! If you are unsure of where to go or look for curlfriends, check out Black Girl Long Hair (http://blackgirllonghair.com). The website always features diverse natural girls and in their interviews, you can find their Instagram or Facebook contact information. This is a great way to create your own curl community and have unlimited advice and hairstyles at your fingertips!

Here's how you can stay connected with me:

FOLLOW me on Instagram: @blackandkinky (I follow back!)
LIKE me on Facebook: Black and Kinky: a hair journey
SHARE my hair blog with friends and family: www.blackandkinky.blogpsot.com

Remember, I write with a purpose; I write with you (my readers) in mind. As always, thanks for reading! HAPPY FRIDAY! :)

1 comment: