June 12, 2013

Experimentation Gone Wrong - June 12, 2013

*Before you read, I want to state that this isn't an entry bashing Pantene products. I know many people use and like the brand and I know they recently introduced a line for naturally curly hair. I even used Pantene products when my hair was relaxed and through my transitioning process. I am simply relaying my experience using one of their products. Please read the whole entry before you accuse me of bad mouthing Pantene. Thanks!*

I made the biggest mistake of all time! I used a non-natural hair product, Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair!!! This may not seem like a tragedy but it is, especially after using natural hair products for about a year now. I may have walked down the wrong path when I decided to use the shampoo and conditioner duo yesterday to condition my hair. I am STILL literally feeling the effects of that decision.

The reason why us natural girls don't use the traditional, department store products are because they are usually ridden with sulfate. Sulfate is the ingredient that makes shampoos and conditioners super foamy. There's always such a large amount of sulfate in these products that we might as well be washing our hair with foam! What most people don't know is that sulfate is harsh on the hair, has drying effects, causes frizz and damages coloured hair! So why do people use it? It is cheap for one and that foamy avalanche has been associated with washing hair for years! We have been conditioned (no pun intended) that the more foam, the better; the more foam, the more clean our hair will be! Natural girls have been educated on what is healthy for their hair and know to stay away from products with sulfate because all the effects are dangerous for our curls.

So, why did I use the shampoo and conditioner? I gave into the description on the bottle! True story! I ran out of my leave-in and rinse-out conditioners last weekend and the Pantene shampoo conditioner concoction was sitting under my sink, half full. The bottle said it would turn dry curls into frizz-free, soft, shiny curls and I actually believed it! Let me tell you, I got the exact opposite. Even as I was finger combing my curls in the shower, I could feel the difference. I can't really explain it but the product did not have nearly the same creamy texture as my Aveda conditioner. My hair felt instantly dry and frizzy after. Today, my hair is still dry and frizzy.

I honestly feel like I went backwards with my hair! Now, I know my hair isn't going to suddenly become unhealthy or stay dry and frizzy forever from this one use but a small part of me is worried. I learned a valuable lesson. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! My routine was working just fine. There was no need to change it and definitely no need to insert an extra step that I kind of knew wasn't going to work! After this experience, I told myself I would a) never use a Pantene product unless it was from the line for naturally curly hair because it doesn't work FOR ME AND MY HAIR, and b) never run out of conditioner so that I never have the excuse to want to be brave and dig around my neglected product collection.

Again, this entry wasn't in any way shining a negative light on Pantene, but making my readers aware that it is important to use what works for their hair and not revert back to what you used when your hair was relaxed! Happy Wednesday everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment