May 29, 2013

TLC: tending, loving and caring for your hair: Massages & conversations - April 13, 2013

One of my "secrets" to caring for my hair isn't really a secret! It's actually a known fact! Massaging your head/hair stimulates hair growth! Now, now, don't spend hours massaging your head hoping to see a major difference and don't dig your fingers into your head thinking the harder, the better. Here are my tips to giving your hair the TLC it needs to be happy!

I rarely get stressed anymore (I really owe it all to my boyfriend, SMART goals and organized to-do lists). But after a long day of being out and about, with flashing lights, noisy traffic, impossible public transit and earphones in your ears, your head can get tender or tight. I noticed this and thought back to something I once read. Massaging your head by applying gentle yet firm pressure can release this "head" stress and the heat you're creating by rubbing your hair follicles can stimulate hair growth. So, I began to massage my head every few days.

I now have a routine where I massage some of my sweet almond oil into my hair and scalp. I do this every few days, right before bed and it only takes a couple of minutes. Oil is one of the essentials that our curly hair needs to be healthy, strong and shiny! I usually start at the edges and front and smooth a generous amount of oil through my strands. I apply more oil, section by section, all over my head. I then massage my head all over, focussing on every part but applying concentrated yet gentle pressure on the tender spots. I always feel so amazing after this moment with my hair, as weird as that may sound.

Another thing that I do is talk to my hair. I am not ashamed to admit that! Especially since I've spent so long neglecting and abusing my hair's natural texture and state, it's about time I show it some real love. I honestly give my hair pep talks. I truly feel like you need to build a real relationship with your hair, just like with your body. You need to love and show love to your whole body. In the end, to each their own! I'm doing what works for my hair and that includes massages and conversations, among other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment