May 29, 2013

I Need Moisture: How to tell if your hair is moisturized - May 29, 2013

 
[ My hair after a wash ]

Before I went natural, I considered the Black Hair Long Hair blog to be my bible! It helped make the transitioning process so much easier. After I got into the routine of understanding my own hair, I kind of forgot about hair blogs. But now that my hair has become pretty long (ignoring the shrinkage), I've started to look to a few blogs for inspiration. I came across a little blog entry about how to tell if your hair was properly moisturized. Now, moisturized does not mean soaking wet. Your hair can be moisturized dry or wet. Here are some facts on what moisturized hair feels/looks like and what you can do to make sure your curls are nice and happy!

I'm sure we all know what dry hair feels like, like super dry. If your hair makes crackly or crunchy sounds when you touch it, your hair is in desperate need of moisture!!! Healthy hair should not sound or feel crinkly like tissue paper, it should be soft to the touch. Healthy, moisturized hair will also shine naturally but applying oil can contribute to this as well. As long as your strands aren't dull or lacklustre, you're in the clear! Your hair should also be flexible and strong! Your hair should not break or weaken while washing or styling. If it does, you need to look at your hair regime and get a proper deep conditioning treatment into your routine.
 
Here are some tips on how to get and maintain moisture in your hair:
1. Invest in a moisturizing cream, either water-based or a rich creme depending on what your hair likes and apply that all over your hair, as often as daily or every few days
2. Apply a natural oil the night before you wash your hair and on a daily basis, massaging it into your scalp and to your ends
3. Limit the stress you put on your curls, like harsh products, heat, pulling and tugging, rough combing, hair accessories that have metal components etc.
4. WRAP IT UP! You must wrap your hair at night. This is super important to keeping moisture in your hair and reducing breakage and damage

No comments:

Post a Comment